Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dublin

"Fort of the Dane,
Garrison of the Saxon,
Augustan capital
Of a Gaelic nation"

-Louis MacNeice

I had a lovely day knocking around town the other day, Monday 11th February. Ma decided that she wanted to go up to the War Memorial Gardens , so off we went. It was a fine day with a warm sun that would remind any sober soul of a Summer's day. We got the bus into town and walked up the quays and into the gardens. They're great. Grand for a walk. There was a few people walking about in the good weather. And why not?



So, after a gander about the War Memorial Gardens, we went in the direction of the Wellington Monument up the Phoenix Park. I hadn't been at it since I was a young fella. We had a seat upon the steps of the 62m obelisk. The Spire is almost twice the height of it at 120m. I'd have never thought that by looking at it.



I had another sight worth seeing in mind. The Patrick Kavangh statue sits quietly and proudly on the bank of Dublin's Grand Canal. I was meant to pay a visit to Paddy last Summer but I never got around to it. So, fair play ot Kavanagh for sitting there perpetually, watching the ducks drift by (in twos and threes) and having to sit beside Antoinette Quinn's daughter as she waits for her boyfriend coming out of one of the nearby offices for lunch.



I hope you like my amazing photos. I took them with my phone. I'll put up another few tomorrow too from the Sony digital camera we have. Maybe I'll have another installment of photos of other places in Dublin that I've meant to go to for ages and never have. That might be nice. Anyway, must dash, I have a lecture in the morning at ten o'clock. Good luck to all involved.

No comments: