Monday, March 05, 2007

Places in Dublin that I like Part Four (Capel Street)

Let me tell you now folks, despite what the others might say, Capel Street is a great part of town. They will tell you that it's horrible and that they don't like it. But that's only because they're posh Brits. The small, somewhat pokey, street gives the Dubliner (or visitors too I suppose) a nice quaint, old-fashioned sort of feeling and the atmosphere of the street compliments this.

I've always seen the street as a place you go when you want something practical, and no, I'm not talking about the filthy shops. It's got all the hardware shops. It's handy-man heaven, and again, I'm not talking about the dirty shops. It's got all the fitting shops, such as knobs and knockers, not the dirty ones, and similar outlets with similar stock. I f you need a particular type of handles for your door or wardrobe, well, you'll find it on Capel Street somewhere. That huge place is there too, Lenihans or something like that. It's a big hardware shop with everything. Finn's (ex-) friend from Rush says that they sell JCBs and the like from their yard at the back, but we've learned not to trust his every word. But it may be possible that they do.

When I was young, we always used to go into the Ilac centre. We used to go up Parnell Street to the old "Peat's" and go down to Arnott's occasionally. But we'd always end up on Capel Street for one reason or another. I have a few memories of being there and it being dark, so it was obviously the last place we went to on our day in town. With all our links with Scouting, we were frequently in and out of the Scout shop there. We'd be replacing lost waggles or buying new neckerchieves or my Mam would buy badges for her little beavers, awh. The campling shops were up on Capel Street too. So, if we wanted camping stuff of any description, we'd head up that direction. I remember getting me first pair of combats up on Capel Street. It was Hallowe'en 199_. Whatever year it was. I think I also got a toy set of tools that day in addition to my deadly trousers, so I mustn't have been very old. I thought I surely was the bee's knees. I could go to war against the Brits or just do some light DIY with my plastic hammer and monkey wrentch.

Goodwin's is a deadly little music shop there on Capel Street. Come on to Capel Street from Mary Street and it's just there on the left on the opposite side of the road. Wonderful little place. They've got some great guitars in there. They've got Martin's and some lovely Fenders. There's one particular Strat that they had, and have recently sold, and I was drooling as a result of seeing it. Finn will probably remember the one I mean. They had the Tele equivalent too. The Strat was gorgeous. It was one of those with the button on the tone knob, not the dirty one, so that you can get different pickup combinations. I think they call it the S-1 System, correct me if I'm wrong. Goodwin's also stocks loads of music books. They've got some nice little ones filled with Irish tunes. I think I'll pick one up some day, and I'll give them a lash on me auld banjo. On one the days I was in Goodwin's with Finn, I think 'twas the day Finn bought a kazoo, I was having a pick of a nice acoustic there, when some nice fella came over and said that he was happy to hear that I was playing "Hideaway" by Freddie King. He was really nice, and I was quite content with myself altogether.


The auld ones on Capel Street are an integral part of the street. They sell their raspberries and their strawberries from the prams for €2 a bag or whatever they charge. Although I've never bought from the auld ones, it's still good to hear them calling for custom. "Ras-be-rees, two fohr a YOUUU-row!!" You get the idea.

4 comments:

Deeoshaythree said...

You know, Twirdy, you really have that gift for the language of persuasion (BWOOH!). So much so that you've even convinced me of Capel Street's minor merits. Now, you can stick that in your pipe and smoke it, and don't call me a "posh Brit" again, you bollocks!

Deeoshaythree said...

P.S.

journalism

Anonymous said...

Liam, I must commend you on your entertaining narrative style. I bet you too can make a reader smile whilst describing a middle-aged man taking a shite.

Deeoshaythree said...

There's a compliment! I believe you just got compared to Joyce, Twirdy.