Friday, August 29, 2008

Little update

Waay, here I am to do what I said I'd do. That is to say how things went in Berlin. But first...

I never mentioned anything about our planned trip to Glendalough. I said that I was looking forward to it. I was right to feel that way. It was a raging success (not without the initial perceived failure that is). The hostel booking in Glendalough was utterly fucked up and after much option hunting we ended up in Rathdrum which (as you can see from the fabulous map that I've taken from somewhere) is south of Glendalough. It was grand craic altogether and fair play to all involved.



Berlin is a grand city. With the aid of a book that was also used by my uncle when he was in Berlin and a small, not very detailed map that we got from a bus tour we made our way around the place. I was particularly taken (even beforehand) with the street between the Brandenburg Gate and the Victory column. It's called 17th July Street or something like that. Again, particularly impressed by the Vicory Column itself. Monuments to territorial and/or national wars is something Ireland just doesn't have, for reasons that are obvious. So, well done to Germans and well done to Berliners and a world without walls. In all fairness that'd be shit though. Maybe without particular walls but that wouldn't sell stuff like posters and general souvenirs. But I'm not head of marketing for dicoverberlin.de or anything. Nice one.

No comments: