Friday, October 17, 2008

Apathy

Maybe that's the word I want and maybe it isn't.

There a member of the mildly immediate family that isn't in the best of ways presently. Used to play a greater part in my life and in the family life of mine. It was all when I saw smaller of course. A good bit smaller.

So now, there's not much input at all and there hasn't been for a while. Not anyone's fault. I can blame distance for a nanosecond but even those that are close to us (in terms in metres) can also seem to not give a rat's bollix.

At some level, I would imagine that it would effect (or is it affect?) me. I mean the health/ well-being of this relative. Apparently not. I have things of my own to worry of course that can pile up, but surely I'd have that niggling worry about it when I think about it. Nope.

Things that haven't got a direct influence or something our lives- do they really matter? That seems and is a stupid thing to type. Well, it's just the phrasing that's shite.

People (mammys have a tendency to do this) can really get into stories and shock events in the news that are tragic. Example: The McCann Saga. Oh, it must be desperate for the family. Yes. it's terrible but it doesn't affect me so I don't "feel" it. Strangely enough a story about a tidal wave killing seventy-four people off Cuba won't get that response but news of a cancer victim in Fairview will. Anyway...

I'm sure most people are of the "if it doesn't involve me or the ones I love I don't care" type. Well, maybe that's going a bit far. But, most people won't get hung up on a story that has no relevance to them. No sleep lost. Sure, these things are terrible but they won't linger in the conscience. Know what I mean?

So, I don't know. For me, there's other things that fill my head daily than the relative. I also don't know if it's a good thing. Surely I should have some concern...

2 comments:

Deeoshaythree said...

No, I understand. Don't get hung up on it.

And affect is the verb.

William Molloy said...

We talked about it before actally. Bit of a broader scale though.