Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Musical Musings

My title sounds very smart doesn't it? I like it. I have no proper musical knowledge, but I surely love it, and although I have a personal attitude to music (I'm not sure what I mean there, or, rather, I don't know how to phrase it, I know how I feel), I just want to babble on about CDs by various artists that I want to purchase.

Mundy is great. Recently I bought "Raining Down Arrows," and I really like it. It takes a second listen, but the true-to-life lyrics will hit you. His voice is easy to listen to too. I must say, I'd name "Carpound" and "By Her Side" as the album's highlights. So, I must get some more Mundy, and I know he was in TempleBar in September, but, maybe get to a gig.

Rory. One word describes what I indulge in daily. A quick "Fuel to the Fire" here and a "Let Me In" there. "Lost At Sea" and "At the Bottom," both from "Against the Grain," are beautifully melancholy and get a lot of air time in my room. It's Rory's darker songs that I like more. For example, "Lonesome Highway" and "A Million Miles Away" (although, I'd imagine, any Rory fan adores my latter example). I'm going to pick up "Defender" next. Released in 1987 (I think), he returns to the Blues apparently.

Sarah Jane Morris is an artist I had never heard of before I met Simone Lisino. He stayed here with us for a few days not too many years ago, maybe two or three, I can't remember, it's late. Well, anyway, he had a celebrated selection of CDs that he brought away with him. I burned the music from these gold-mine CDs onto the pc. I left most of them alone for quite a while, but thankfully, I've listened to most of them. Stevie Ray Vaughan (how I first heard him and Double Trouble) was among them, as was Sarah Jane Morris. So, maybe I'll try to pick up some more SJM too. This is beginning to sound like a shopping spree list.

Finally, I'll end finish with Harry. Unfortunately, most of Nilsson's records were commercial flops and are difficult to get in high street record shops, HMV and the like. I might go to Rhythm Records, or easier yet, amazon.co.uk.

So, I'll stop here and end my wishful thinking. It'll probably be a few years until I get around to actually buying these things, but that's ok too. Aspirations to widen one's tastes and all that.

1 comment:

Deeoshaythree said...

I always wanted to go on a proper shopping spree, like, Mike Murphy style.