Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Places in Dublin that I like Part One (O'Connell Street)

For this I think I'm going to have to take out a map and look around for that I get ideas and so on. Thanks to Dave I have a nice touristy sort of map with lotsa nice pictures on it. I like pictures.

I don't think anyone can say that they don't like Dublin's main thoroughfare, O'Connell Street, formally Sackville Street. It's a fantastic street, so wide and majestic. There are so many reasons why it's deadly. One simple simple reason is because the G.P.O is there. It is possibly the strongest symbol of Irish republicanism in Dublin, in Ireland.
So much has happened on one street, that is impossible to ignore the list. Key events occured there during the strike and lockout in 1913. James the Bollix Larkin was determined to speak to his union members from O'Connell Street. Of course, during the Rising the Irish Republic set up HQ in the G.P.O building and the majority of the War Council members were stationed there beside their leader Padraig Pearse. During the Civil War, a dark time in Ireland, the Anti-Treaty forces occupied the street to support those in the Four Courts. It was there that Cathal Brugha was fatally wounded and died.

Various other strikes and protests and that sort of thing have happened on O'Connell Street. And who will forget the riots that disrupted the "Love Ulster" loyalist marches in 2006? Not me for one. I was in Swords thinking of going into town that morning and bus services just stopped. We scored an own goal that day.


Anyway, O'Connell Street is deadly for other reasons too. Firstly, the O'Connell statue at the Liffey end is cool. The spike is...ok. It was a waste of money, it cost something like €3million. But, it's there to stay and on a nice day it's somewhat nice. Good nicknames, I might come back to that! Eason on O'Connell Street is great too and Tower Records is deadly upstairs. The Savoy is good too, good cinema with deadly big screens. There's this really nice place where you can buy doughnuts on the west side of the street and they're delicious. I had one of Finn's once!
So there's some reasons why O'Connell Street is deadly. There are probably many more but they're not coming to me. I'll think of them some time. Maybe I'll be given ideas. Anyway, they're endless.

No comments: